I love Tofu so much!
Tofu also known Bean Curd or Soya Curd is made up of soy milk mainly.It is a versatile and very adaptable food staple widely used in the Asian community.Tofu easily absorbs the flavours and also works well with any ingredients it is paired with and you can even cook it in a lot of different ways. It is known to be a good source of proteins and other extraordinary health benefits. But then it should be consumed within limits, like not more than 2-3 servings per week because it contains a large amount of oxalate products (any salt or ester of oxalic acid capable of forming an insoluble salt that can prevent absorption by the body).Extra firm tofus are best for baking, grilling and stir-fries, while soft tofu is suitable for sauces, desserts, shakes and salad dressings. They work best when marinated with garlic,ginger and some sauces. I love Tofu a lot especially grilled or crispy fried. I had some left over vegetables at home mostly some eggplants and some bell peppers slices remaining from last time pasta dinner.So I thought it was about time I make use of the Tofu that I bought a couple of days before.
It is the kind of dish that won’t need a lot of ingredients and very easy to make whilst leaving you wanting for more!
Preparation time : 20 mins
Cooking time : 30 mins
- 1 package of firm tofu, rinsed, drained and cut into 1 inch cubes.
- 2-3 chillies cut into halves
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp of fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 cup of Eggplant, cut into chunks
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into chunks
- Couple of fresh Thai basil leaves
- Couple of coriander leaves,chopped
- White sesame seeds for garnish
- 1 tsp of soy sauce
- 1 tsp of mushroom sauce
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of water
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- Cut tofu into small cubes.
- Pat dry excess moisture from the tofu with a paper towel.
- Set aside.
- Marinate the tofu with the above sauce.
- Mix well and leave to rest for some 5 mins.
- Heat oil in a large wok or nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add the tofu along with 2 chillies cut into halves and fry until golden on both sides.
- Transfer to a plate and drain on paper towel and set aside.
- Reheat the wok with oil once again to high heat.
- Add the minced garlic and ginger and let it sizzle for a few seconds.
- Then add the chopped onion and eggplant chunks along with the fresh basil leaves.
- Stir from time to time until the eggplants are soft and cooked. They should take approx. 20 mins to be done.
- Add the vegetables and tofu and stir for another 2 or 3 minutes.
- Then pour the sauce mixture (Mentioned above) and stir quickly for another minute.
- Add 1 cup water,cover and cook for about 10 mins more.
- When all is soft and cooked,add the crispy tofu to the vegetable mix and toss everything together.
- Serve hot and garnish with coriander leaves finely chopped and some white sesame seeds on top for more crunch.
Voila it’s done! A healthy alternative to lunch or even for those on diet, it is a very light dish. Soya protein (from which tofu is derived) is believed to help lower levels of bad cholesterol (LDL).To keep the tofu fresh for up to one week, the water should be changed often.When opened, all tofus needs to be rinsed, covered with water and kept in a refrigerated container. As stated above,I personally really love Tofu! You can even have it in a curry,or as crispy nuggets or even as a burger.So many endless possibilities really! Besides Tofu is very suitable for vegetarian.
So if you are a crazy Tofu lover as me and also have tried it in a different style and dish.I would love to know your version of it. And if ever you have tips and tricks for a better dish,please do share.
Adopt a healthy living for a Happy living!