Looking for something easy to make on a mid week night then I guess this Classic Spaghetti with Meatballs is the answer.Many times we are short of ideas of what to make for dinner especially when time is constraint. Whenever I used to have quite a handful of a day, the only thing that would cheer me up was definitely food.Besides Pasta is one of the most satisfying and heart warming food I know. Ready in 30 mins maximum and with only few humble ingredients you can bring this dish to any level you want. I can ensure you that this recipe will make the best mid week meal for the family. Normally Meatballs are best when made from minced beef.However at home we do not eat beef,so one more reason to really not giving up on this Classic Meatballs Spaghetti dish.
You will literally forget your eating manners with this creamy tomato based Spaghetti Meatballs dish. My siblings sometimes forget theirs to be honest whenever Pasta is on the menu. Also Pasta provides a beneficial source of Carbohydrates and you can make it more nutritious by paring it with grilled veggies or even lots of greens as well as finely chopped nuts.It all depends on how you like to have yours really. Lately people are opting for better alternatives, that is Wholewheat Pasta which is equally appetizing especially when tossed in a seafood bechamel sauce.Lots of healthy alternatives really when it comes to Pasta.
Preparation time : 15 mins
Cooking time : 30 mins
- 500g Spaghetti – Panzani
- 2 tinned whole Tomatoes
- Grated Cheese (Optional)
- Vegetable oil
For the Tomato Sauce :
- Couple of bunch of fresh Basil leaves
- 1 medium Onion
- 2 cloves of Garlic
- 1 kg ripe Tomatoes , or 2 tinned whole tomatoes
- Vegetable oil / Olive oil
- Salt/Freshly ground black Pepper
For the Meatballs :
- 500g of Minced Chicken
- 1 cup of Breadcrumbs
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup of finely chopped Onions
- 1/2 a cup of Chopped Parsley
- 1/2 a cup of Thyme
- 2 big spoonful of Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp of Dry Red Chilli Flakes
- 1 tsp of finely chopped Garlic
- 1 tsp of Honey
- In a big bowl, add the minced alongside all the above mentioned ingredients for the meatballs.
- Mix thoroughly by incorporating an egg to the mixture.
- Leave to rest for approx. 2 hours in the fridge so that the flavours develop themselves more.
Note: You can also do overnight and store in a tightly sealed container to be used the next day or anytime you want to make Meatballs.
- After a couple of hours or so, heat a non stick pan and drizzle some oil.
- Then slowly cook the Meatballs for about 8 mins on both sides.
Note: You can also cook them in the oven for 15 mins at 275°F or Gas Mark 1.
- Strain on paper towel to get rid of excess oil and leave to rest until the pasta is done.
- Put water to a boil and add the Spaghetti until Aldente.
- Strain the Spaghetti and drizzle some Olive oil on top.
- In another pan,cook all the above mentioned ingredients for the tomato sauce and leave to simmer for 10 mins.
- When the sauce has started to bubble up, add the Meatballs and give it a good stir.
- Add you Spaghetti and coat everywhere well in the mixture.
- Best served with a crunchy salad on the side or even with some grated Parmesan on top (Optional).
The best thing about Pasta is that it is a fat-free, low sodium food that can fit right in with your weight loss plan. One cup of cooked pasta contains just 100 calories, in addition to valuable vitamins and minerals. It also fills you up so you don’t feel hungry while trying to lose weight. Also as I mentioned above, now you even have Wholewheat Pasta which means double the nutritious value. You can also replace the tomato sauce with light pesto sauce.So many variety really to have Pasta and still keeping it healthy. I personally love a good Pasta bake with a creamy Tuna bechamel sauce. Yum!
I know this is quite a common dish mostly at many and so easy as well. But then as we do not eat beef at home, there was no reason at all that we skip this dish. Still next time I will opt for Lamb minced instead of chicken because of the meaty flavour. It is equally yummy with chicken because as you can see I added a lot of fresh and other dry mix to elevate the blend flavour of usual minced chicken. Another dish added to the list to make more often at home for the siblings! We are normally a family of 5 at mine so if you have to make for 2, just cut the mentioned proportions into halves really. Like you can use just 1 tinned Tomato and only 250g of Pasta for 2 really.
I would love to know how you make yours especially what are the extras you add to the minced mix. I added only those I am familiar and comfy with.So some extra ideas will be of great help. Very looking forward to be part of how you normally make your Spaghetti Meatballs at home.
Also for the coming days, I will be posting more recipes than the usual because I have so many pending really.
Until then take care my lovely foodies.