If you think bananas are just for monkeys,think again!
Bananas are my most favourite fruits to eat especially at breakfast time. They make such delicious breakfast when added to your cereals. And to top it all, a good drizzle of honey over.Yum! Often we are found with a lot of them left and not really knowing what to make of them other than Pancakes and Breads. So if you like fritters then I guess you would love this one too. Banana Fritters or ”Gateau Banane” are one of the most fondly loved sweets here in Mauritius. Children love it really and rejoice over like crazy whenever they are being offered some.At mine they disappear like nothing once on the table.They are so delicious that you would want to stuff yourself. Normally you can make them in smaller bite size.But then because I easily eat 2-3 in just one go, I thought let me make them bigger in size. Ooopsy greedy me! They are considered to be a food staple here in Mauritius and can also be found selling anywhere around the island. They are definitely the best tea time treats to have when your families or friends come over. A joy really!
Serves 5 (Makes approx 12 Fritters)
Preparation time : 10 mins
Cooking time : 25 mins
- 4 Ripe Bananas
- 1 cup of White sifted Flour
- 1/2 a cup of Milk powder (Optional)
- 1 Egg (Optional)
- 1 tsp of Baking Powder
- 1 tsp of Cinnamon Powder
- 1 tsp of Vanilla Essence
- 1 tsp of Brown Sugar (Optional)
- 1 pinch of Salt
- Vegetable oil
- In a bowl,mash the bananas until mushy soft.
- Add the flour to the mix along with all the above mentioned ingredients a little at a time.
- Combine everything well together and leave to rest for approx. 1 hour in the fridge.
- Heat your pan with some vegetable oil until medium hot.
- With the help of a big spoon, drop the batter into the oil one at a time forming round balls and fry until slightly brown.
- Remove and strain on paper towel to get ride of excess oil
- Dust the top of the fritters with some icing sugar to finish off. (Optional)
I like dusting the fritters with some icing sugar on top. I love the snow effect that it gives to those amazing little soft banana pillows. Do they not look inviting really? Yum indeed! You will be surprised how quick they will go once they are on the table. Easy and so quick to make plus they are always handy when receiving friends at home during tea time.
I am sure some of you must already be familiar with this recipe.I found that in some countries especially Jamaica,they would instead use chunks of Plantain.However the procedures are the same, coat in batter and deep fried. Maybe I should try that sometimes too instead of this custom way of making them.
Have you ever tried Banana Fritters? I would love to know how you make yours or if you add anything else other than Cinnamon to it.They are very delicious right? Such a good way to share the love with a good cuppa.
Ouff finally done with the lot of recipes I had pending to post.Now way to some more exciting recipes soon.
Till then take care and much love.