Just a few humble ingredients!
Oh yes this will take only a few humble ingredients in order for you to win the hearts of many really. Canned Tuna is often disregarded and considered as being an under rated food ingredient in the kitchen. Also not knowing what to make out of it most of the time makes it lose its value. To be honest I really love Canned Tuna even if sometimes it can be overpowering in terms of flavours to some of the dishes you make out of it. But then it can be a big explosion of tastes in the mouth if you know how to pair it with other ingredients.That I can guarantee you for sure that it can eventually become a scrumptious dinner at the end. And who does not love pasta really? I do not know anyone who would refuse pasta which is all gooey with cheese! And such is the recipe for today, a great classic with cheddar cheese goodness.All to melt your heart really!
Great to make on Friday nights or even on mid week days, this pasta bake will leave you fully fed up. Sometimes it is amazing how just a few humble ingredients can end up into a hearty meal. Cooking is not difficult at all trust me even for those who are very busy. If you are beginner, I would really suggest you to try it and when you get the hands of it do change from tuna to meat or even chicken if you prefer.Or maybe turn it into a Penne Alfredo with a nice salad on the side and some wine! Ouh la la, the boyfriend or husband will certainly kiss your hands at the end! So give it a try and let me know.
Preparation time : 15 mins
Cooking time : 45 mins
- 250g dry penne pasta
- 200g tinned tomato
- 1 canned tuna chunks
- 1 cup of finely diced white onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2-3 fresh basil leaves
- 2 cups of grated cheddar cheese
- vegetable oil
- In a saucepan,pre boil the water with 1 tsp of salt and throw in your dry penne.
- Cook the penne half way through because the cooking process will continue once in the oven.
- Strain and sprinkle 1/2 a tsp of dry herbs along with 1 tsp of oil.
- In a non stick pan, sweat the onions along with the cloves of garlic for 5 mins.
- When the onions have gone soft, add the tomato puree and mixed altogether.
- Salt/Pepper along with the remaining 1/2 tsp of dry herbs and leave to simmer for 15 mins more,
- When the tomato sauce has reduced to a paste, add in the tuna chunk and stir all in generously.
Note: I threw in the tuna chunks along with its oil because I love how beautifully they all come together in terms of flavours.But then if you want,you can not add the oil from the canned tuna.
- Now add the penne and throw in the basil leaves and mix everything thoroughly for 5 mins more.
- Bake in a pre heated oven at 250°C for 25 mins.
- Serve hot along with a nice crunchy salad on the side.
Gosh I really couldn’t wait for it to cool down before serving myself a big portion of this cheesy goodness.And as cheeky as I am, I scraped off the burned and cheesy crispy part of the penne all on my plate.The best bit really in this dish! The next heart warming part is the tuna chunks which have gotten another depth of flavours from the saltiness of the cheddar cheese and the rich tomato sauce. Yum! However the twist to it was that I served it with a nice hot chilli sauce. I am such a crazy lover for chillies and anything hot really. I really cannot eat my meal without some on the sides. Heavenly really with the green tropical chilli lime paste.
I am sure many of you love this classic! And probably is definite yes-yes anytime something quick needs to be made for dinner.But then who said quick meant dull and boring.Quick meal fix can be fun just like this delicious pasta bake. So do not hesitate to share your love for penne because honestly isn’t it the best pasta ever? You can make up anything from it and so delicious at the end. Maybe you would prefer something else rather than tuna chunks and I would definitely love to know your favourites to use in a pasta bake. Do not hesitate to write to me.
Much love always!