I love Summer!
I know who doesn’t, right? I mean this dish screams summer from every angle really. Rich,vibrant and colourful bell peppers stuffed with delectable fish, sweet corns and so much more.A dish to brighten your mood and give you the feel of a good doze of sunshine in your life.All washed down by some freshly brewed iced tea. The perfect moment really! And I just got an idea for my next recipe – Lemon iced tea! Thank youuuu.
There is a lot of options available really when it comes to stuffed bell peppers.It is on its own a complete meal with the rice and the different ingredients used as stuffing. We also have a Mauritian version of this which is normally made from tuna,sweet corns, cabbage and a few other ingredients excluding the rice. The best thing about this dish is that you can really add a lot of personal touch to it. Some use quinoa for the stuffing or simply minced beef/meat. You can really customised it to your own tastes and liking.I love fish and on that day I had only one canned mackerel fish at home.So I thought why not give it a try really and see how the taste differ from the usual Mauritian tuna version.
Preparation time : 20 mins
Cooking time : 50 mins
- 3 bell peppers ( Any colour of your choice )
- 1 small bowl of pre cooked rice
- 2 whole mackerel fish from any tinned mackerel can or any fresh fish if ever you have at your disposal
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp of peppercones
- 1/2 a cup of finely diced onions
- 1/2 a cup of sweet corns
- 1/2 a cup of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 a tsp of dry herbs
- 1/2 a tsp of grated ginger
- 1 cup of grated cheese
- some freshly chopped parsley
- some finely chopped basil leaves
- Salt to taste
- vegetable oil / olive oil
- Put water to a boil and cook your rice until fluffy soft.
- Strain and leave to cool down.
- In a plate start by cutting your peppers into halves and removing the seeds.
- In another plate, de-bone the mackerel fish and roughly mash them.
- Add some parsley,salt and pepper for extra flavours.
- Next put water to a boil with 1 tsp of salt and blanch your peppers for 5 mins only.
- In a non stick pan, sweat your onions,garlic,ginger and peppercones until you you can smell the aromas.
- Add your diced tomatoes along with 1/2 a tsp of dry herbs and give it a good stir.
- Leave to cook for 10 mins until soft tender.
- Add your rice,sweet corns and chopped coriander to the mix and continuously stir until everything is thoroughly mixed.
- Salt accordingly.
- Pre heat your oven at 350 °C while you get on with the stuffing.
- Start by adding the stuffing to each bell pepper and then topping up with cheese and a drizzle of olive oil followed by some more seasonings.
- Place the dish in oven and leave to cook for 30 mins.
Note: You will know it’s ready when you see the cheese bubbling away.
The smell is incredible with the dry herbs and roasted bell peppers hitting you right through out of the oven.And you know I have this bad habit of eating things just out of the pan,so I couldn’t wait to tuck in. And there it was,the rice falling apart with that delectable fish in between! Along with that come the oozing cheese still hot and sticky! Oh mine,are you not yet convinced that food is the ultimate soul mate?!
So stop looking for the Mr. Right and get going to your kitchen and make this amazingly delicious stuffed bell peppers with so much goodness and healthy nutritional values. Ideal for dinner and very quick to get done also.And always nice to try using ingredients from the cupboard a little different way.Maybe the children might like it too if ever they weren’t fond of mackerel before. Trust me if their smell puts you off, you don’t even get the slightest clue it’s fish that is in there! You can serve these along with a any salad of your choice.
Do not forget to share your best way of making them if ever you do at yours. I know they are best served with minced meat as stuffing but it will still be a pleasure really to know what are the extra ingredients you like to put in yours.
Do not hesitate.
Much love and spread kindness always.