Happy New Year ! Yayyyy !
Let’s bring it on yes yes yes more food nom nom nom. Pardon me but the atmosphere around is such that I can’t contain my excitement because in a few days it will be 2016! Which means new beginnings,new challenges,new moments, everything new practically, that I am really looking forward to by the way! Oh yes some more exciting news to come up with the blog.As you must have already noticed by now that PEACHYTALES is finally registered and has its own custom domain name. Now on to tweaking the blog little at a time as well as some more amazing recipes which are already on its way.
It is the tradition at mine,being of Hindu faith,to fast on the 1st day of New Year every Janurary in respect to the deities, which means Meat Free only for that day.I know right who fast on New Year’s day? Still that doesn’t mean no happy tummies! You can still have an amazing time with some home made vegetarian delicacies and party food. So for this New Year celebration why not give these gorgeous puff pastries a try and I can guarantee you that you will end up licking your fingers really!
Preparation time : 20 mins
Cooking time : 45 mins
- 250g of ready made puff pastry
- 425g of whole mushrooms
For the Bechamel Sauce :
- 1 tsp of melted butter
- 1 tsp of all purpose flour
- 2 cups of liquid milk
- 1 pinch of salt/pepper
- 1/2 a tsp of dry herbs
For the Sauteed Mushrooms :
- 1 tsp of oil
- 1/2 a cup of diced onions
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- pinch of salt/pepper
- coriander finely chopped
- 1/2 a cup of white wine (Optional)
- In a non stick pan,heat 1 tsp of oil and then add all the above mentioned ingredients as well as the mushrooms (finely sliced) and slowly fry until slight crisp and brown in colour. All round 15 mins max. of cooking.
- When the mushrooms are done, reserve and leave to cool down.
- In the meantime, roll your pastry dough on a flat surface and start by cutting the dough into a disk shape.
Note : You will get approx. 10 disk shapes from the 250g of ready bought puff pastry.Half of it you will have to cut the disk shape leaving a hole in the inside (A ring like shaped disk).
- Place the first cut on a baking tray.Then layer the second cut on top of the first one by slightly brushing the edges with some milk in order to seal both pastries.
- Leave to rest until you pre heat you oven.
- Pre heat the oven at 200 °C and get on with your bechamel sauce.
- In a sauce pan, add the melted butter and 1 tsp of flour.
- Whisk until no lump and a soft dough like mixture is obtained.
- Add the milk a little at a time and give it a continuous whisk.
- Repeat the process until a thick sauce is obtained.(As shown below)
- Salt/pepper accordingly and sprinkle the dry herbs as well as coriander leaves for more flavour to the sauce.
- Combine the reserved mushrooms to the sauce and stir until all is properly mixed together.
- Place your puff pastry in the pre heated oven to bake for 15 mins at 200 °C.
- After all is properly puffed up and golden brown, remove and set on a tray to cool off for 5 mins.
- Next take the creamy mushroom goodness, cut open the hole inside the pastry and fill in the Vol-Au-Vents.(As shown below)
- Sprinkle over some finely chopped parsley and kick start New Year with heart and tummy fully content!
And you’re now officially a baker! Haha. I meant you can now eat them all up like greedy! Because honestly they are so creamy and delicious and as you bite in the vol-au-vents you can taste the goodness of the mushrooms slightly smokey and crisp.I love it really! For a first try, it was a little wobbly wobbly imperfect in shapes but the flaky crust and creaminess of the sauce was an absolute joy in the mouth. You will be surprised at how quick they will disappear once laid on the table.
There is an endless possibilities of fillings that can be used for the Vol -Au- Vents ranging from seafood gratin to even chicken or butter squash. It is up to you really and honestly I wanted to keep it to a low budget as much as I can. Only to show that you can make great celebration food / recipes out of just a few humble ingredients you have readily at home. True it will take you a lot of time to make your own puff pastry but then in times where you have to make a lot of party food, it is better to buy a ready made one as it is much more affordable as well. Handy for those needing something quick to make during festive period or parties.
Much love and light on this coming New Year.May it brings you all heart full of contentment and fulfillment. Have an amazing celebration time with your loved ones and always remember to make every moment counts.