See the sweet side of life with Milk Pudding!
Hello my beautiful people! Yes I am back and we are kick starting the Year sweet 16 with something sweet on the blog this time. It is believed that to start the year with something sweet brings good luck all though the year.Besides I know that the blog needs a little more of dessert recipes and maybe it’s a good way for m eto experiment more with baking and dessert for this year. A resolution maybe? To be honest I am not much of a dessert person and yes you are right who doesn’t love dessert?! Creme Brulee , Macarons , Chocolate Fudge , Moist Banana Bread or Apple Crumble with Ice Cream. I love the idea of them but then it depends on my mood really.Well I guess I will make that a resolution for this year for you all! To bring in more varieties in terms of recipes and especially desserts because they have been on request many times. Do not hesitate to let me know which dessert you would love to see on the blog in the comment section below.
This recipe reminds me particularly of my childhood days where Mum would make them often in all sorts of flavours and colours as well. They are commonly known as ”Flan” or ”La Mousse” here in Mauritius rather than Milk Pudding. And I would devour them instantly when being handed to me. I still remember how I would go to and fro infont of the refrigerator in hope that the jelly has finally set and is ready to be eaten. And when Mum wouldn’t be looking , I would peak my fingers into to make sure they are ready or not.I know I am quite cheeky when it comes to food. Haha! I brought some personal twists to the recipe and hopefully you will love my version of having the traditional La Mousse.
Preparation time : 24 hours
Cooking time : 15 mins
Ingredients for the Milk Pudding:
- 2ltrs Liquid Milk
- 165 ml/g of Creamy Coconut Milk
- 1 tsp of Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp of Brown sugar (Or more if you like it sweeter)
- 25 g of Gelatin powder /Agar Agar
Ingredients for the decoration :
- 1 passion fruit
- 1 lime
- 250g of wilde berries compote/fresh
- In a big saucepan, add milk along with vanilla extract and whisk generously.
- Next pour in the coconut milk and whisk again until all fully combined.
- Place the saucepan on a low heat and continue to whisk generously for around 15 mins preventing the milk to burn.
- In the mean time when the milk has become slightly warm, add in the gelatin powder and keep whisking.
- When the mixture becomes creamy almost like custard, turn off the gas.
- In a big bowl, sieve the milk so as to get rid of any lumps formed.
- Pour the mixture in desired moulds and leave to cool down before putting into the refrigerator overnight to set.
- When the jelly has set, demould and decorate with the wild berries compote along with fresh lime zest over on top to bring out the flavours of everything.
Note : You can decorate with any seasonal fruit of your choice really; strawberries, mangoes, papaya etc.
- Best served chilled.
Tadaa! You now have yourself a dessert of an absolute crowd-pleaser. Simple , fun and also very easy to make anytime in need of a quick dessert idea. It’s been so long since I had La Mousse and the first bite through it was full of great emotions.It took me back to the beautiful childhood memories. Sometimes the real pleasures of life is found in simple little things. This Flan is amazingly good and my siblings were so happy really.Woobly woobly and sweet with the vanilla and coconut flavour hitting you through.I would highly recommend making it atleast once and serve especially after a dinner party.
Well well that was to the first recipe to kick start the year sweet 16 on the blog.I am sure many of you love La Mousse and probably been making them very often at yours. As for my fellow non Mauritian readers, I am pretty sure you also have your own ways of making Milk Pudding at yours. Surprisingly I saw some making ginger based Milk Pudding and I think I need to try that too sometimes. So I will leave you all here and do not forget to leave your comments below if anything else.