Are you Pakoras about Pakoras?
Who doesn’t love crunchy,cripsy and delicious pipping hot Pakoras? I find them truly addictive really and paired with a frothy cardamom Chai, it’s heavenly. Heavenly in the sense that I don’t want the day to end really.Mauritian Street Food draws out a lot of attention as to why is it so popular on the island. And those who have had the chance to taste it, will definitely tell you as to why it is! Chana Puri, Chilli Cakes, Bread Fritters and many more! You will fall in love really as they are simply very tasty. I adore Cabbage Fritters – ”Gato Lissou” as commonly being known here. They have a crunch to make you weak in the knees and the taste is simply tempting for more.
We are nearing the Winter season here in Mauritius and yes I know the sun is always out shinning even if it’s winter time here. That’s how it is really, that’s the perks of being on an island! However the chill is here and we all crave a little comfort food at tea time. These delicious Pakoras are the best treats to indulge to really if you are looking for some comforting tea time bites. There are several versions of making them also, some add sweet corns to the batter, others add green chillies or ginger as well. But I prefer this one and they are always a crowd pleaser at mine. Once on the table, all gone!
Winter Warmers Pakoras – Mauritian Cabbage Fritters (GATO LISSOU)
Yields : 15 Pakoras
Preparation time : 15 mins
Cooking time : 25 mins
- 300g shredded cabbage (purple or green)
- 1 small onion
- 1 cup of white all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of gram flour
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of dry red chilli flakes
- 1 pinch of food colourant (yellow/optional)
- water as required to make a thick batter
- finely chopped coriander leaves (optional)
- vegetable oil for frying
- In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients together and mix.
- Add water a little at a time until a thick batter is obtained.
- Heat vegetable oil to medium hot and drop little morsels at a time.
- Stir occasionally until golden brown and crispy.
Note : Please let the oil heat to medium-high so that the fritters do not absorb too much oil.