Do you remember?
Do you remember those days? The days where the world would just stop at the mere sight of these gorgeous Chantecler Chicken wings? That aroma of slightly burnt crispy skins, the little traces of grease on your fingers and that delicious taste of soy sauce along with that little bit of heat from the chillies at first bite? Dipped in some chilli sauce and sliced baguettes on the table. And just when you look up Mum is there holding a big portion of french fries while Dad carefully wiping off his glass for a chilled beer. Trust me , time certainly does stop right there. Right at that moment, you know it is going to be the best memory that you could possibly cherish all your life long.
I am truly grateful to announce that PeachyTales has now partnered with Mauritius leading Chicken Brand Chantecler for some recipes down the memory lane. Exiting in the hearts of many since 50 years already, Chantecler chicken is story in itself. A true Mauritian Heritage as well as officially supporting the Made In Moris community , Chantecler makes a difference in the lives of many. During the months to come, we will try to revive all the fondest memories linked to this beautiful meat. A great milestone for PeachyTales really and very looking forward to revive all those beautiful childhood moments that bind us all.
The secret behind a moist and tender, juicy chicken always lie in the marinade. The longer you leave it to dance on its own flavours, the better the taste and juiciness. This recipe makes great pub grub on a Friday night among friends as well as the perfect Sunday lunch among your loved ones. I remember it used to be our favourite to bring at the beach every weekend while touring the island. The meat would fall off the bone in our bread really! Truly easy to make and require only a few basics to get the flavours dancing in your mouth. Sometimes Mum would simply use this a mid week fix for dinner along with rice and lentils. Sa ki bon sa!
Mauritian Soy Sauce Chicken / Poule Frire Mauricien
Prep time: 60 mins
Cooking time : 35 mins
Serves : 5
- 1kg Chantecler Chicken wings
- 2 medium white onions sliced
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup of soy sauce ( I used mushroom soy sauce )
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp ginger/garlic paste
- 5 cloves
- 1 star anise
- couple of green chillies cut in halves ( optional )
- couple of peppercones
- spring onions ( for garnish )
- 1 cup of water
- vegetable oil
- In a large bowl marinate the Chantecler Chicken wings with 2 tbsp of ginger/garlic paste, 1/2 cup of soy sauce , 2 tbsp of oyster sauce for roughly 1 hour or so.
- Next heat your non stick pan to a medium heat with 2 tbsp of vegetable oil and slowly add the bay leaves, pepper cones , cloves and star anise to fry.
- After a few generous stirs from time to time , add the marinated Chanctecler Chicken to the spices mix followed by the chillies.
- Occasionally stir from time to time for about 10 mins before adding 1 cup of water to the mixture. Salt accordingly.
- Cover and leave to cook on slow fire for about 30 mins by stirring from time to time.
- Throw in your sliced onions 5 mins before turning off the gas.
- Serve steamy hot along with some french fries and spring onions as garnish.
Note : I don’t normally salt this dish because we have enough salt content in the sauces. So it is up to you really to adjust the taste.
*** Disclaimer : All texts and photos are mine. Any reproduction of the above is strictly prohibited! In case of need, please do not hesitate to contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org