Do you believe in Magic?
Don’t you believe that cooking is simply an act of Magic? If you have watched the magnificent series of Chef’s Table, it will be vivid to you that cooking is simply filled with magic. And sometimes some magic can be found just under a bowl. The Mauritian Bol Renverser is no second to that. Often being referred as The Magic Bowl or Upside Down Bowl, it is truly a great amusement to the eyes.
At home this is always the number one dish we think of whenever it is celebration time. Infact we would be more excited about the Bol Renverser rather than the celebration news really. This dish is very easy to make and is filled with amazing flavours altogether. Bearing a little influence from the Sino-Mauritian culture, Bol Renverser is practically the favourite of everyone. And the magic does not stop here, for we also have Upside Bowl Noodles known as the Mine Renverser.
Bol Renverser is simply a stir fry of different assortments of your choice in a thick sauce served over rice and all topped with a sunny side up egg. You are free to customise your own stir fry really. Some would go for a seafood one along with big prawns. And many will prefer the Classic – Chicken & Egg Bol Renverser. You can also make it the vegetarian way if ever you are vegetarian. And the ingredients varies really to your liking for example some will add broccoli and snap peas.
The most beautiful memories I hold close with this particular dish are that when I was small. I used to watch Mum turns the bowls upside down as if a complete trick of magic.. The sauces dripping off from the stir fry gently caressing the rice. That runny egg yolk falling off slowly and marrying with the stir fry as you dig in. The combination of flavours, a spoonful of absolute joy and the hearty feeling of being loved and at home. Is there anything better than this really ?
Magic Bowl – Mauritian Bol Renverser / Upside Down Bowl
Preparation time : 1 hr 45 mins
Cooking time : 30 mins
Total time : 2h 15 mins
- 500g boneless Chantecler Chicken cut into strips
- 5 eggs
- 3-4 baby pak choi
- 125 g sliced carrots
- 75 g dried mushrooms
- 200 g baby corn
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 4 red onions
- 3 cups of cooked rice
- 3 tbsp ginger/garlic paste
- 1 tbsp butter
- salt/pepper to taste
- lemon juice
- vegetable oil
- prawns (optional)
- broccoli (optional)
For the Sauce :
- 1 cup of oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp of corn starch powder
- 1/2 cup of mushroom soy sauce or dark sauce
- 3 tbsp of fish sauce
- 4 cups of water
- In a large cooking pot, add 5 litres of water to boil. Once boiled , put your rice to cook until fluffy and soft.
- Cut the Chantecler chicken into fine strips and marinate with salt , pepper and a drizzle of lemon juice over. Leave to rest for 10 mins while you heat a non stick pan to medium hot. Fry the Chantecler chicken strips for 15 mins by occasionally stirring. Remove and reserve.
- Preps the vegetables. Slice carrots into disc shapes , chop onions coarsely , dice the bell pepper , and cut the baby corns.
- Soak dried mushrooms in warm temperature water until all swelled up. Chop finely and reserve.
- Wash baby pak choi and sauteed on medium heat in 1 tbsp butter and garlic. Reserve
- In a large bowl , mix the above mentioned sauces, corn starch and water. Reserve.
- Heat a chinese wok or any non stick large pan with vegetable oil.
- Add garlic/ginger paste to the oil and throw in all your vegetables and mushrooms.
- Sauteed by adding salt and pepper according to your taste until tender.
- Pour in the sauce and leave to simmer for 15 mins.
- To plate the Bol Renverse, use a medium sized bowl and begin by layering all your preps:
1.Begin with the fried egg at the bottom.
2.Then continue by layering the Chantecler chicken strips.
3.Add the vegetable stir fry along with a good spoonful of sauce mix as well.
4.Finish with the pak choi on top.
5.Place a plate over the bowl and turn it upside down.
- Serve with green chilli paste and tomato salsa as condiments on sides.
*** Disclaimer : All texts and photos are mine. Any reproduction of the above is strictly prohibited! In case of need, please do not hesitate to contact me on email@example.com