My Mama’s Favourite!
Mother’s Day is just around the corner and I am sure everyone is very much looking forward to make it the most memorable day as ever. A weekend that looks very promising indeed. It has been almost like a tradition since long at mine to have Fried Rice on Mother’s Day. My Ma absolutely love it, infact it is her favourite to eat. Sometimes with Lamb or with giant Prawns. Or sometimes simply the classic way, Chantecler Chicken and fried eggs on top.
I remember how much this would be such a special dish back then when Mama would be making it. The kitchen would be filled with all those fry ups aromas and I would , naughty as I used to be , steal a few Chantecler Chicken strips while Ma would not be looking. To be honest, who would not be hungry at the sight of such a beautiful spread! Mauritian Fried Rice , Riz Frite is such an easy dish really. Because it is basically a variety of stir fry mixed together into left over rice and serve with a delicious egg on top. The taste varies from kitchen to kitchen but then the method remains the same. You can customise your fried rice with left over vegetables such as bell peppers , broccoli , snap peas or even bamboo shoots.
Mauritian Fried Rice is such a popular dish and needs no introduction I presume. Make such a gourmet take out for many and a very comforting meal for others. You can also accompany the fried rice with a variety of side dishes. From Seafood Chop Suey to Sizzling Lamb and even a Vegetable Stir Fry. A finger licking condiment to go along such as tomato salsa or our fiery chilli paste. I find it very amusing to eat along with some prawn crackers. Yes just like the famous Nasi Goreng from Indionesia.
Mauritian Chicken Fried Rice – Riz Frite Poulet
Preparation time: 45 mins
Cooking time: 1 hr
Total time : 1 hr 45
- 4 cups fine long grain basmati rice
- 1 medium cabbage
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 large onion finely diced
- 5 eggs
- bean sprouts (optional)
- 3 baby pak choi
- 2 cups sweet corn kernel
- 50g dried mushrooms
- 750g Chantecler chicken breast
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- spring onions / chives
- garlic/ginger paste
- vegetable oil/sesame oil
- In a large cooking pot, add water to a boil and cook the basmati rice until fluffy soft.
- Allow the rice to cool by stirring occasionally and reserve.
- Cut your Chantecler Chicken into equal strips. Salt and pepper. Set aside to marinate for 10 mins.
- Start with the vegetables preparation. Sliced your cabbage finely and keep aside.Next chop your carrots into julienne and reserve. Do same for the remaining ingredients eg mushrooms , pak choi ..
- Heat a chinese wok to medium hot by adding vegetable/sesame oil. Fry the vegetables each at a time starting with cabbage.
- Reserve and afterwards put the chantecler chicken to cook.
- Start by assembling all the ingredients together now to make the fried rice.
- Heat your chinese wok with couple tbsp of oil again , add ginger/garlic paste and onions.
- Slightly sauteed the all followed by the rice next. Add the sauces and mix everything thoroughly together.
- Throw in all the vegetables prepared and fried beforehand. Combine everything together as well as mushrooms and corns.
- Add chicken and spring onions/chives on top and again mix altogether. REPEAT step 5 until all the rice is used up.
- Serve with garlic sauce , chilli paste and tomato salsa as condiments.
*** Disclaimer : All texts and photos are mine. Any reproduction of the above is strictly prohibited! In case of need, please do not hesitate to contact me on email@example.com