A second serving is always a must when it comes to Mauritian Fried Noodles!
I think this is the one dish that irrespective of the age, always comes up first in mind. Whenever an occasion for take outs or a moment to celebrate shows up. It is such a glorifying dish to the children really. You should see their eyes and how they glow whenever the slightest sound of ”Mine Frire” will be pronounced. I am a very good example myself . It has always been my number one to eat on special occasions that would need celebration at home. I don’t know why we all love a good plate of this Mauritian Chicken Fried Noodles.
Fried Noodles – Mine Frire – Mine Frites – or Chow Mein (the classic way to call it) is among the most looked forward restaurant take outs, dine in experience or even Street Food here in Mauritius. A quick grab that is ever popular around the Island. You will find stalls, small restaurants like – Ti Snacks and each bearing their own signature of the Mine Frire. And sometimes they can be eaten along with a variety of dumplings from Chayote to Mushroom or even Shrimp to Lamb dumplings. A true bowl of comfort really especially during cold winter days, late at night between friends. Good times and laughters are to be guaranteed around a great bowl of Mine Frire.
Very easy to make and absolutely delicious when fresh noodles are being used. There is such a heart filling taste when using Fresh Noodles. The slight taste of flour, combined with the oil and the fresh fragrance of the noodles. A little sesame oil and some salt/pepper, I think anyone will be good for the whole day. Eaten plain or as a variety of dishes from stir fry , in broth or sauteed, you will never get enough really. The most beautiful sight you can have of these Mine Frire is on the streets of Port Louis, late at night. The hot steam , the fragrance of the soy sauces , the slight burnt aromas of caramel sauce and that scenic view of stir frying , mixing and again stiring. An art really! Win the heart of your loved ones with a comforting bowl of Chicken Fried Noodles.
Mauritian Chicken Fried Noodles – Mine Frites Poulet
Preparation : 30 mins
Cooking time : 45 mins
Total time : 1hr 15 mins
- 750g Easy Pack Chantecler Chicken breasts ( boneless chicken )
- 1.5 kg of Fresh noodles (from market) or Egg Noodles (from supermarket)
- 300g shredded cabbage
- 150g finely sliced carrots ( cut in juliennes )
- 5 eggs (beaten into omelette)
- 4 baby pak choi
- 75 g bean sprouts
- 1 cup finely chopped chives
- 1/2 cup of dark soy sauce
- 1/2 cup of caramel sauce
- 1/2 cup of light soy sauce
- 1/2 cup of oyster sauce
- 1 cup wine ( optional )
- 2 cups dried mushrooms ( optional )
- 1 cup sweet corn kernel (optional)
- 500g king sized prawns ( optional )
- ginger paste
- sesame oil
- In a large bowl , unpacked your fresh noodles and untangle them.
- Slightly salt/pepper and leave to rest.
- In your wok, heat 3 tbsp of sesame oil and fry the diced Chantecler chicken breasts. Remove when slightly brown. Reserve.
- Next on medium heat , fry the shredded cabbage followed by the carrots separately.Reserve
- Next add oil followed by the 1 tsp of ginger paste. 2tbsp of the Caramel sauce followed by the fresh noodles (A handful of it)
- Seasoned the noodles with the above mentioned sauces – 1 tbsp each , mix until noodles well combined with sauces altogether.
- Throw in the cabbage, carrots and coarsely chopped baby pak choi as well as bean sprouts into the noodles.
- Give it a good stir until all the vegetables are evenly spread and soft into the noodles.
- Add your chicken strips followed by chives and give it a last stir.
- Serve with omelette on top of the noodles.
- Accompany with chilli paste and garlic sauce on the side as condiments.
Note: If you are adding the optional ingredients, repeat same steps. That is, fry everything in a tbsp or two of oil. Reserve and then add respectively to the noodles later.
*** Disclaimer : All texts and photos are mine. Any reproduction of the above is strictly prohibited! In case of need, please do not hesitate to contact me on email@example.com