The warmth of a home made Curry is said to be close to a mother’s hug.
Because only Mums happen to make the best possible Curry. There is such an earthy note and great depth to the flavours of pre cooked red kidney beans. I can literally feed myself on rice and beans solely. They are just so tasty and you feel that you can’t stop having another mouthful. Haricot Masala is simply just another feel to home kind of Mauritian Curry really. The best way I grew up eating this curry was to serve it along with Salted Fish Rougaille – Rougaille Poisson Saler and pickled chilli on the side. You have here my friends, Mauritius on your plate. Simple , rooted but with an abundance of warmth.
For the coming months I am so happy to announce that I teamed up with Regal Mauritius to bring you recipes packed with goodness. Along the months I will try to develop some great classics inspired from our traditional culinary heritage by using their pre cooked grains and tinned cans ready made sauces. A family oriented concept that serves 4-5 persons easily. And comes in very practical if you are running out of time and need something that will grab everybody’s interest on the table.
Mother used to accompany this Curry with hot faratas (Mauritian Flatbreads) instead of the usual rice and beans tradition. Pipping hot faratas and a delightful fragrant Coconut Chuntey to make the whole dining experience a festival in the mouth. It is however,not allowed to lick your plates in the kitchen? Still when Mum would turn her back on me, I would secretly lick that plat! Shuuuttttt! Red Kidney Beans Curry is just another heart filling and rich type of Curry that most Mauritians love probably as a mid week quick fix meal at dinner time. Very easy to prepare once you have pre boiled them. The usual process requires you leaving them soaked overnight to then cooking in a large pot or pressure cooker vessel.
The Regal Family pack comes in very handy because the least you have you do is simply cut open and pour the mixture into a pre made curry base sauce. A couple of very generous stirs from time to time and voila you have not just dinner ready but also a comforting bowl of deliciously spiced warmth filled with good nutriments. To note that we are actually in full winter period in Mauritius. And I couldn’t think of anything better than a big bowl of slowly simmered grains in a sinfully amazing curry base sauce.
Mauritian Red Kidney Beans Curry -Haricot Masala
Preparation time : 10 mins
Cooking time : 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins
- 750g REGAL Family Pack Red Kidney Beans- Haricot Rouge
- 400g tinned can of tomato puree
- 1 white onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger/garlic paste
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- curry leaves
- 1-2 dry red chillies (optional)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tbsp Garam masala powder
- coriander leaves
- vegetable oil
- water (2 cups)
- In a non stick pan , add a couple tbsp of vegetable oil followed by ginger/garlic paste, onions, curry leaves,thyme, fenugreek seeds, dry red chillies, cinnamon stick and the cumin seeds.Shallow fry everything until toasted.
- Add the tinned tomato puree to the fry mixture and leave to simmer for 5 mins.
- Next add the tumeric and garam masala powder. Stir generously for 5 mins more.
- Take your pre cooked Regal red kidney beans and pour the lot into the masala mixture. Salt accordingly.
- Add water to your desired consistency, cover and leave to simmer for 10 more mins the time the curry deepens in flavours.
- Serve over fluffy rice and any salad of your choice. Can also be accompanied with any meat dish or salted fish rougaille.
Note: You can store the curry in an air tight sealed container for approx. 1 whole week in the refrigerator. Pre heat and eat on toast or at lunch time anytime during the week.
*** Disclaimer : All texts and photos are mine. Any reproduction of the above is strictly prohibited! In case of need, please do not hesitate to contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org